I am so dang excited to welcome back Fashionista Vista, who has been doing important things like getting married and going on her honeymoon. What gives? Anyhow, she has some really great post-wedding bridal advice for you all, which I’m going to share early next week. However, today we’re luck enough to get a new installment of our beloved Fashionista Vista. Without further ado…
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Fashionista Vista, back at it, with a real mind-bender today…
: : B R I G H T S VS. W H I T E S — T H E G R E A T D E B A T E : :
Joining the ranks of such intense rivalries as “Mustard vs. Ketchup,” “Chunky vs. Smooth,” “Thin Mint vs. Shortbread” (hmmm or maybe I’m just hungry…) is one of those burning decisions you never knew existed but suddenly seem to be facing when planning a wedding…
What do I wear to my Bridal Shower? And Bridesmaid Luncheon? And Lingerie Soiree? And Engagement Photo Shoot?
Do I wear all white to every wedding event? After all, I am (dum-dum-da-dum) “The Bride” – shouldn’t I milk it for all its freakin’ worth? You know, get in on all those cute white sundresses while the gettin’s good?
Or do I spice it up with a pop of color? Because I am (dum-dum-da-dum) “The Bride” – shouldn’t I stand out? Make a statement that draws all eyes to me?
Before making a rash decision (heavens no!), consider this:
- There are sure to be multiple events (aside from The Big Daddy: The Wedding) thrown in honor of You (oh, and you know, that cute dude, what’s his face… your fiancé)… showers, bachelorette parties, rehearsal dinners, brunches, etc.
- Plus, there’s a high probability that you will be photographed more during this period of your life than any other (disregarding that whole “Mom took 872 naked pictures of me in my first bath” episode).
So what’s a girl to do? Don’t fret, my pets – I’ve got you covered.
: : W H I T E S : :
Enjoy the idea of donning the official bridal color but afraid of potential fashion-wall-flower status? Lucky for us, Marilyn Monroe’s moment with the subway vent and Madonna’s “Like a Virgin” video took care of that whole “white = demure and virginal” thing back in the day, so scout out frocks with a heavy does of flirt!
- Ain’t no mistaken who you are, missy!
- There is no better color to highlight that pre-wedding “glow” (yes, I know it’s hard-earned from the tanning bed / bronzing bottle / poolside, but your secret’s safe with me!)
- A poorly cut piece in white can pack on the visual poundage
- Two words: “cliché potential”
So, if you’re a “Go White or Go Home” Bride, here are some tips for picking the perfect ensemble. Hunt out your most flattering fit. White is an unforgiving little sasspot, so give yourself a head start by finding the fit that best flatters your body type. Cinch in a tiny waste; highlight killer legs; flaunt a full bust-line – just pick what works best for YOU!
- Hunt out your most flattering fit. White is an unforgiving little sasspot, so give yourself a head start by finding the fit that best flatters your body type. Cinch in a tiny waste; highlight killer legs; flaunt a full bust-line – just pick what works best for YOU!
- In the same vein… Choose top-end fabric. Thin, clingy black fabric? Eh, sometimes it works. Thin, clingy white fabric? Yep, you look like a poor-man’s Pretty Woman. Two words, my dears: Double Lining.
- Its all in the details. Yeah, yeah, we all know the bride wears white, but it’s the little embellishments that will set you apart from the crowd! Ruffles, textures, and detailing will take you from “sweet” to “stylish” in the time you can say “saucy silk burnout!”
: : B R I G H T S : :
Coyly smirking in the face of bridal fashion tradition, you aim to be a tulip in a field of lilies! And in a day and age where a bridal brunch doesn’t (necessarily) translate into white gloves and cucumber sandwiches (thank gaaaawd!), feel free to boogie into spotlight sporting something eye-catching!
- Brights let a gal’s true personality really shine
- Purchasing-wise, color is much easier to get right the first time
- Overhearing a guest muttering “which one’s the darn bride-to-be?” would be a total buzz-kill
So… if you find yourself all choked up when the Muzak of Cyndi Lauper’s True Colors streams through the elevator speakers (nary a worry, it’s just the PMS!)… some tips to help you find yours:
- Stick with the theme. Nowadays, pre-wedding events often come with a theme… Is a Mexican Fiesta being thrown in your honor? Go with oranges and yellows with eyelet or embroidery. What about a BBQ Rehearsal Dinner? Pair up bright ruffles with boots. Dressing the part is a sure signal your guest-of-honor status!
- Either keep the color shocking and simple… Head-to-toe daring color in an unfussy silhouette screams Sass & Class. But remember to keep the design simple – that pop of color will stand out even more if it’s uninterrupted by unnecessary trappings.
- Or surprise ‘em with a audacious print. Prints can be trixy minxes – god-forbid you blend in with the upholstery or look like you’re attired for a Mommy & Me Outing. Try bold and retro with an uncomplicated cut, or dazzle in a regal maxi dress.
: : T H E P E R F E C T C O M P R O M I S E : :
What’s that you say? You like mustard and ketchup on your hotdog? Well alright, Miss Thang! Have your freakin’ wedding cake and eat it too with the likes of these “I want it all!” looks:
Shop strong and walk tall, ladies!